[openstack-dev] [all] Design Summit reloaded

Rochelle.RochelleGrober rochelle.grober at huawei.com
Thu Aug 28 01:01:19 UTC 2014

On August 27, 2014 3:26 PM Clint Byrum wrote:
Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2014-08-27 05:51:55:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been thinking about what changes we can bring to the Design Summit
> format to make it more productive. I've heard the feedback from the
> mid-cycle meetups and would like to apply some of those ideas for Paris,
> within the constraints we have (already booked space and time). Here is
> something we could do:
>
> Day 1. Cross-project sessions / incubated projects / other projects
>
> I think that worked well last time. 3 parallel rooms where we can
> address top cross-project questions, discuss the results of the various
> experiments we conducted during juno. Don't hesitate to schedule 2 slots
> for discussions, so that we have time to come to the bottom of those
> issues. Incubated projects (and maybe "other" projects, if space allows)
> occupy the remaining space on day 1, and could occupy "pods" on the
> other days.

I like it. The only thing I would add is that it would be quite useful if
the use of pods were at least partially enhanced by an unconference style
interest list.  What I mean is, on day 1 have people suggest topics and
vote on suggested topics to discuss at the pods, and from then on the pods
can host these topics. This is for the "other" things that aren't well
defined until the summit and don't have their own rooms for days 2 and 3.

[Rocky Grober] +100  the only thing I would add is that each morning, the unconference could vote for that day (or half day for that matter), that way, if a session or sessions from the day before generated greater interest in something either not listed or with low votes, the morning vote could shift priorities towards the now higher interest topic.

--Rocky

This is driven by the fact that the pods in Atlanta were almost always
busy doing something other than whatever the track that owned them
wanted. A few projects pods grew to 30-40 people a few times, eating up
all the chairs for the surrounding pods. TripleO often sat at the Heat
pod because of this for instance.

I don't think they should be fully scheduled. They're also just great
places to gather and have a good discussion, but it would be useful to
plan for topic flexibility and help coalesce interested parties, rather
than have them be silos that get taken over randomly. Especially since
there is a temptation to push the "other" topics to them already.