[openstack-dev] [infra] [neutron] [tc] Neutron Incubator workflow

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Wed Aug 27 19:30:23 UTC 2014

Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> writes:

> From what I understand, the intended projects for the incubator can't
> operate without neutron because they are just extensions/plugins/drivers.

I could have phrased that better.  What I meant was that they could
operate without being actually in the Neutron repo, not that they could
not operate without Neutron itself.

The proposal for the incubator is that extensions be developed outside
of the Neutron repo.  My proposed refinement is that they stay outside
of the Neutron repo.  They live their entire lives as extension modules
in separate projects.

> For example, if the DVR modifications to the reference reference L3 plugin
> weren't already being developed in the tree, DVR could have been developed
> in the incubator and then merged into Neutron once the bugs were ironed out
> so a huge string of Gerrit patches didn't need to be tracked. If that had
> happened, would it make sense to keep the L3 plugin as a completely
> separate project or merge it? I understand this is the approach the load
> balancer folks took by making Octavia a separate project, but I think it
> can still operate on its own, where the reference L3 plugin (and many of
> the other incubator projects) are just classes that expect to be able to
> make core Neutron calls.

The list of Juno/Kilo candidates doesn't seem to have projects that are
quite so low-level.

If a feature is going to become part of the neutron core, then it should
be developed in the neutron repository.  If we need a place to land code
that isn't master, it's actually far easier to just use a feature branch
on the neutron repo.  Commits can land there as needed, master can be
periodically merged into it, and when the feature is ready, the feature
branch can be merged into master.

I think between those two options: incubate/spin-out components that are
high-level enough not to have deep integration in the neutron core, and
using feature branches for large experimental changes to the core
itself, we can handle the problems the incubator repo is intended to
address.

-Jim