[openstack-dev] [UX] [Horizon] [Heat] Merlin project (formerly known as cross-project UI library for Heat/Mistral/Murano/Solum) plans for PoC and more

Drago Rosson drago.rosson at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Aug 27 14:14:52 UTC 2014

Hello Timur,

I have been developing a graphical Heat Orchestration Template builder. I
first heard about the Merlin project around a week ago and found that what
I have developed in the past few months is in line with what Merlin is
trying to accomplish.

Some of the features of the template builder (described further down)
could be used as part of the UI framework Merlin aims to produce. However,
its most important and useful component is a JavaScript library I have
developed called Barricade.js, which powers the template builder’s data
layer.

Barricade.js aims to solve the problem of using JSON data across a web
app. It creates data model objects out of JSON using a predefined schema
(which looks similar to the schema used in your Murano Dynamic UI). This
removes the disadvantages with JSON and introduces some very important
advantages:

- Encapsulation. JSON values can be set to any type or deleted entirely,
which either causes errors when UI components expect these values to exist
or be of a certain type, or forces the UI components to constantly check
for correctness. Barricade instead wraps around the JSON and provides
accessor methods to ensure type-safe data manipulation. Additionally,
Barricade objects are observable, so changes made to their data trigger
events that can be subscribed to by UI components.

- Normalization. Whenever properties that are defined in the schema are
missing in the JSON, Barricade will fill them in with default values. This
way, UIs will always have valid values where they expect them, making
their design much simpler. Optional properties are extremely common in
Heat templates.

- Metadata. Anything extra attached to JSON must be handled carefully
(such as when converting back to the original YAML format). By wrapping
the JSON with Barricade, metadata and convenience methods that UI
components can use can be defined. For instance, the datatype of any value
or a description to go along with each property in a Heat resource.

- Validation. Soon, the schema will allow defining validators that will
run whenever a new value is attempted to be set on data. Messages about
failed validation will be available so that the UI can display it. This
system seems to be very similar to dynamic UI’s.

What this all boils down to is that all of the logic required to ensure
JSON’s integrity is rolled into Barricade instead of sprinkled into all of
the UI code. This way, UI components can be confident in the data that
they are working with, which makes their code more concise and faster to
develop.

Barricade seems like a great fit for Merlin because the projects it
targets (Heat, Solum, Mistral, Murano) use YAML files that can be used
with Barricade once they are converted to JSON.

About the template builder (see screenshots attached):

- Uses an interactive canvas (powered by a D3.js force-directed graph) to
display Heat resources and the dependencies in between them. New resources
can be drag-and-dropped from a panel onto the canvas. Different resource
types are attracted to different respective areas so that they
automatically arrange themselves in a familiar network topology hierarchy.
 A form/panel is displayed when a resource on the canvas is clicked so
that the resource’s properties can be edited.

- Has two―way data binding provided by Knockout.js interfacing with
Barricade.js so that editing values in forms automatically updates the
topology on the canvas (e.g. Changing resource IDs or creating/removing
dependencies between resources).

- Allows for direct-editing of the template (via text input) and loading
templates via URLs.

Please, let me know if you would like a demo of the template builder and
Barricade!

Thanks,
Drago Rosson