[openstack-dev] [all] Design Summit reloaded

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Aug 27 14:10:24 UTC 2014

On 27/08/14 09:55, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 02:51:55PM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I think this proposal makes the best use of our setup: discuss clear
>>> cross-project issues, address key specific topics which need
>>> face-to-face time and broader attendance, then try to replicate the
>>> success of midcycle meetup-like open unscheduled time to discuss
>>> whatever is hot at this point.
>>>
>>> There are still details to work out (is it possible split the space,
>>> should we use the usual design summit CFP website to organize the
>>> "scheduled" time...), but I would first like to have your feedback on
>>> this format. Also if you have alternative proposals that would make a
>>> better use of our 4 days, let me know.
>>
>> +1, I think what you've proposed is a pretty attractive evolution of
>> our previous design summit formats. I figure it is safer trying such
>> an evolutionary approach for Paris, rather than trying to make too
>> much of a "big bang" revolution at one time.
>
> We have too many fixed constraints at this time for a "big bang" anyway.
>
> What I like in the format is that the nature of the 4th day can change
> completely based on the result of the 3 previous days. If a major topic
> emerged, you can address it. If a continuation discussion is needed, you
> can have it. If you are completely drained of any energy, you can spend
> a quiet time together with a lighter agenda, or no agenda	at all.
>
> It would still be open for everyone, but the placement (Friday) and
> title in the schedule ("X contributors gathering") should feel
> unattractive enough so that attendance is generally smaller and more
> on-topic. We'll likely have to split rooms, so people who have been
> complaining about giant rooms being detrimental should be happy too.

+1 I have no idea if this will work, but it definitely seems worth
trying and will help inform our planning for the L design summit at a
point where we'll still have some flexibility.

I do hope that contributors will emphasize to their respective finance
departments that the "X contributors gathering" is the potentially the
_most_ important part of the whole conference, not an opportunity to
skip out early and avoid an extra night's hotel stay. If all of the key
people are in the room it may even save a bunch of people a trip to a
mid-cycle meetup.

cheers,
Zane.