[openstack-dev] [neutron][ml2] Mech driver as out-of-tree add-on

loy wolfe loywolfe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 08:09:39 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ports are bound in order of configured drivers so as long as the
> OpenVswitch driver is put first in the list, it will bind the ports it can
> and then ODL would bind the leftovers. [1][2] The only missing component is
> that ODL doesn't look like it uses l2pop so establishing tunnels between
> the OVS agents and the ODL-managed vswitches would be an issue that would
> have to be handled via another process.
>
> Regardless, my original point is that the driver keeps the neutron
> semantics and DB in tact. In my opinion, the lack of compatibility with
> l2pop isn't an issue with the driver, but more of an issue with how l2pop
> was designed. It's very tightly coupled to having agents managed by Neutron
> via RPC, which shouldn't be necessary when it's primary purpose is to
> establish endpoints for overlay tunnels.

So why not agent based? Neutron shouldn't be treated as just an resource
storage, built-in backends naturally need things like l2pop and dvr for
distributed dynamic topology control,  we couldn't say that something as a
part was "tightly coupled".

On the contrary, 3rd backends should adapt themselves to be integrated into
Neutron as thin as they can, focusing on the backend device control but not
re-implement core service logic duplicated with Neutron . BTW, Ofagent is a
good example for this style.