[openstack-dev] [neutron][IPv6] Neighbor Discovery for HA

Xuhan Peng pengxuhan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 05:03:22 UTC 2014

As a follow-up action of yesterday's IPv6 sub-team meeting, I would like to
start a discussion about how to support l3 agent HA when IP version is
IPv6.

This problem is triggered by bug [1] where sending gratuitous arp packet
for HA doesn't work for IPv6 subnet gateways. This is because neighbor
discovery instead of ARP should be used for IPv6.

My thought to solve this problem turns into how to send out neighbor
advertisement for IPv6 routers just like sending ARP reply for IPv4 routers
after reading the comments on code review [2].

I searched for utilities which can do this and only find a utility called
ndsend [3] as part of vzctl on ubuntu. I could not find similar tools on
other linux distributions.

There are comments in yesterday's meeting that it's the new router's job to
send out RA and there is no need for neighbor discovery. But we didn't get
enough time to finish the discussion.

Can you comment your thoughts about how to solve this problem in this
thread, please?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1357068

[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/114437/

[3] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/man8/ndsend.8.html