[openstack-dev] [heat] "heat.conf.sample is not up to date"

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 19:07:16 UTC 2014

On Aug 24, 2014 9:04 AM, "Morgan Fainberg" <morgan.fainberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sunday, August 24, 2014, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm following this as well since I have the exact same problem in a
docstring patch for heat.

> Keystone saw an oddity with the new sample config generator (changing how
options are sorted and therefore changing the way the sample config is
rendered). This could be a similar / related issue.

> Most of the projects stopped gating on "up-to-date" sample config a few
reasons, the first is that with external library dependencies you never
know when / if something upstream will break the test run (e.g. New
Oslo.config or new keystonemiddleware).

> Now imagine that issue occurred and was blocking a gate-fixing bug
(happened at least a couple times).

> In short, making sample config being up-to-date to merge code causes a
lot if headaches.

> Different projects handle this differently. Nova doesn't have a sample
config in tree, keystone updates on a semi-regular basis (sometimes as part
of a patch, sometimes as a separate patch). Keystone team is looking at
adding a simple non-voting gate job (if infra doesn't mind) that will tell
us the config is out of date.

Nova dropped the file, in part because we didn't see the point of including
auto generated files in tree.

> While it is nice to always have an updated sample config, I think it is
not worth the breakage / issues it adds to the gate.

> It might make sense to standardize how we handle sample config files
across the projects or at least standardize on removing the gate block if
the config is out of date. I know it was floated earlier that there would
be a proposal bot job (like translations) for sample config files, but I
don't remember the specifics of why it wasn't well liked.