[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] Allowing Plugins in tree that explicitly do not support IPv6

Subrahmanyam Ongole songole at oneconvergence.com
Mon Aug 25 17:48:16 UTC 2014

Hi Sean

I will join the Neutron IRC, get the inputs and address them at the
earliest.

I like to know the requirements for J & K release cycles and what other
open source reference plugins have done towards this. We need to ramp up
our resources on ipv6 support.

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Collins, Sean <
Sean_Collins2 at cable.comcast.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> The amount of tests that we are having to add skips to for the One
> Convergence plugin has grown quite a bit lately.
>

> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/tree/neutron/tests/unit/oneconvergence/test_nvsd_plugin.py#n58
>
> This is the only plugin that inherits from the NeutronDbPluginV2 class and
> has completely disabled creating Subnets that have an ip_version of 6.
>

> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/tree/neutron/plugins/oneconvergence/plugin.py#n228
>
> I hate to single out this plugin. Before this development cycle, open
> source plugins would allow the creation of Subnets with ip_version set to
> 6, and then have lots of bugs which would prevent any instances from
> actually obtaining IPv6 addresses and routing. But we didn't have to
> explicitly skip tests every time someone wanted to fix bugs - like the
> following patch.
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/116317/
>
> Also, I want to highlight some meeting minutes, where it was discussed
> that in the K release, all plugins will be required to support IPv6. I hope
> we can discuss this, build consensus, and ensure that the K release
> requirement is reasonable.
>

> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/networking/2014/networking.2014-07-14-21.02.html
>
>  Sean M. Collins

Thanks