[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] Allowing Plugins in tree that explicitly do not support IPv6

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Mon Aug 25 15:11:46 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Collins, Sean
<Sean_Collins2 at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The amount of tests that we are having to add skips to for the One
> Convergence plugin has grown quite a bit lately.
>
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/tree/neutron/tests/unit/oneconvergence/test_nvsd_plugin.py#n58
>
> This is the only plugin that inherits from the NeutronDbPluginV2 class and
> has completely disabled creating Subnets that have an ip_version of 6.
>
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/tree/neutron/plugins/oneconvergence/plugin.py#n228
>
> I hate to single out this plugin. Before this development cycle, open source
> plugins would allow the creation of Subnets with ip_version set to 6, and
> then have lots of bugs which would prevent any instances from actually
> obtaining IPv6 addresses and routing. But we didn't have to explicitly skip
> tests every time someone wanted to fix bugs - like the following patch.
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/116317/
>
> Also, I want to highlight some meeting minutes, where it was discussed that
> in the K release, all plugins will be required to support IPv6. I hope we
> can discuss this, build consensus, and ensure that the K release requirement
> is reasonable.
>
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/networking/2014/networking.2014-07-14-21.02.html

Sean, this is a very valid point. Can you please add an item on the
neutron meeting agenda today so we can discuss this? I'd like to talk
this through with the team to understand how we as a community want to
move forward here. Since we will have closed the IPV6 gap in Juno once
the stateful/stateless patches merge, we should be requiring all
plugins to support IPV6 and not skip these tests.

Thanks,
Kyle