[openstack-dev] [all] [ptls] The Czar system, or how to scale PTLs

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 23:58:29 UTC 2014

On 08/23/2014 06:35 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>  I agree as well. PTL is a servant of the community, as any good leader
> is. If the PTL feels they have to drop the hammer, or if an impass is
> reached where they are asked to, it is because they have failed to get
> everyone communicating effectively, not because "that's their job."

The problem isn't really that teams are not communicating effectively,
nor is the problem to do with some deficit of a PTL in either putting
the hammer down or failing to figure out common ground.

The issue in my opinion and my experience is that there are multiple
valid ways of doing something (say, deployment or metering or making
toast) and the TC and our governing structure has decided to pick
winners in spaces instead of having a big tent and welcoming different
solutions and projects into the OpenStack fold. We pick winners and by
doing so, we are exclusionary, and this exclusivity does not benefit our
user community, but rather just gives it fewer options.

IMHO, the TC should become an advisory team that recommends to
interested project teams ways in which they can design and architect
their projects to integrate well with other projects in the OpenStack
community, and design their projects for the scale, stability and
requirements (such as multi-tenancy) that an open cloud software
ecosystem demands.

Just my two cents,
-jay