[openstack-dev] [all] [ptls] The Czar system, or how to scale PTLs

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Sun Aug 24 09:58:36 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 02:33:27PM +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:

[Snip some well articulated thoughts.]

> Enter the Czar system: each project should have a number of liaisons /
> official contacts / delegates that are fully responsible to cover one
> aspect of the project. We need to have Bugs czars, which are responsible
> for getting bugs under control. We need to have Oslo czars, which serve
> as liaisons for the Oslo program but also as active project-local oslo
> advocates. We need Security czars, which the VMT can go to to progress
> quickly on plugging vulnerabilities. We need release management czars,
> to handle the communication and process with that painful OpenStack
> release manager. We need Gate czars to serve as first-line-of-contact
> getting gate issues fixed... You get the idea.

Just a gentle note on Gate: From my limited observation, I feel there's
a chance that people might burn out early if they're only focused on
Gate 100% of the time -- given the sheer number of moving parts and the
cross-project coordination one has to be involved with. I recall Sean
Dague mention elsewhere in a different thread[1] about feeling
(understandably) frustrated trying to chase Gate issues and the lack of
enough volunteers on that front.

So, probably Gate czars might need to offset their work with some other
activity, to retain a sense of sanity.

> Some people can be czars of multiple areas.

This point should cover that.

  [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-June/037620.html

--
/kashyap