[openstack-dev] Adding GateFailureFix tag to commit messages

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 02:38:04 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 2:11 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 09:02:17AM -0700, Armando M. wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > According to [1], we have ways to introduce external references to commit
> > messages.
> >
> > These are useful to mark certain patches and their relevance in the
> context
> > of documentation, upgrades, etc.
> >
> > I was wondering if it would be useful considering the addition of another
> > tag:
> >
> > GateFailureFix
> >
> > The objective of this tag, mainly for consumption by the review team,
> would
> > be to make sure that some patches get more attention than others, as they
> > affect the velocity of how certain critical issues are addressed (and
> gate
> > failures affect everyone).
> >
> > As for machine consumption, I know that some projects use the
> > 'gate-failure' tag to categorize LP bugs that affect the gate. The use
> of a
> > GateFailureFix tag in the commit message could make the tagging
> automatic,
> > so that we can keep a log of what all the gate failures are over time.
> >
> > Not sure if this was proposed before, and I welcome any input on the
> matter.
>
> We've tried a number of different tags in git commit messages before, in
> an attempt to help prioritization of reviews and unfortunately none of them
> have been particularly successful so far.  I think a key reasonsfor this
> is that tags in the commit message are invisible when people are looking at
> lists of possible changes to choose for review. Whether in the gerrit web
> UI reports / dashboards or in command line tools like my own gerrymander,
> reviewers are looking at lists of changes and primarily choosing which
> to review based on the subject line, or other explicitly recorded metadata
> fields. You won't typically look at the commit message until you've already
> decided you want to review the change. So while GateFailureFix may cause
> me to pay more attention during the review of it, it probably won't make
> me start review any sooner.

gerrit supports searching by message (although the searching is a little
odd sometimes) and these can be used in dashboards.

message:'MESSAGE'

Changes that match *MESSAGE* arbitrary string in the commit message body.

https://review.openstack.org/Documentation/user-search.html

Examples:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/message:%22UpgradeImpact%22+is:open,n,z
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/message:%22DocImpact%22+is:open,n,z