[openstack-dev] [glance] [infra] Glance review patterns and their impact on the gate

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Sat Aug 23 13:16:25 UTC 2014

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 07:09:10AM -0500, Sean Dague wrote:
>> Earlier this week the freshness checks (the ones that required passing
>> results within 24 hrs for a change to go into the gate) were removed to
>> try to conserve nodes as we get to crunch time. The hopes were that
>> review teams had enough handle on what when code in their program got
>> into a state that it *could not* pass it's own unit tests to not approve
>> that code.
>
> Doh, I had no idea that we disabled the freshness checks. Since those
> checks have been in place I think reviewers have somewhat come to rely
> on them existing. I know I've certainly approved newly uploaded patches
> for merge now without waiting for 'check' jobs to finish, since we've
> been able to rely on the fact that the freshness checks will ensure it
> doesn't get into the 'gate' jobs queue if there was a problem. I see
> other reviewers do this reasonably frequently too. Of course this
> reliance does not work out for 3rd party jobs, so people shouldn't
> relly do that for changes where such jobs are important, but it is
> hard to resist in general.

We still require a +1 Jenkins for it to move to gate. We don't require
that it was within the last 24hrs (that was the freshness change that
was removed).

So fast approve of trivial patches is still valid workflow. As it won't
go into the gate until it already passes Jenkins once.

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net