[openstack-dev] [Cinder][third-party] How to make progress on cinder driver CI post J3

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Fri Aug 22 21:25:16 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 11:19 AM, Asselin, Ramy <ramy.asselin at hp.com> wrote:

>  Many of us are still working on setting up and testing 3rd party ci for
> cinder drivers.
>

> None of them currently have gerrit +1/-1 voting, but I heard there’s a
> plan to “disable” those that are “not working” post-J3 (Please correct me
> if I misunderstood).
>

> However, Post-J3 is a great time to work on 3rd party ci for a few
> reasons:
>
> 1.       Increases the overall QA effort when it’s most needed.
>
> 2.       Many contributors have more time available since feature work is
> complete.
>

> Since erroneous failing tests from non-voting ci accounts can still
> distract reviewers, I’d like to propose a compromise:
>
> Marking 3rd party ci jobs still undergoing testing and stability as
> (non-voting).
>
> e.g.
>
> dsvm-tempest-my-driver
> <http://15.126.198.151/67/106567/30/check/dsvm-tempest-hp-lefthand/a212407>
>
> SUCCESS in 39m 27s (non-voting)
>
> dsvm-tempest-my-driver
>
> FAILURE in 39m 54s (non-voting)
>

> This way, progress can still be made by cinder vendors working on setting
> up 3rd party ci under ‘real’ load post J3 while minimizing distractions
> for cinder reviewers and other stakeholders.
>
> I think this is consistent with how the OpenStack “Jenkins” CI marks
> potentially unstable jobs.
>

> Please share your thoughts.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Ramy

> ​Just FYI, I haven't necessarily heard that drivers etc are going to be
removed.  I would say however that the job should be removed until it's
stable.  There's no reason you can't do that (just don't submit your
results) and still work on fixing things up.  My system for example has
been running on every OpenStack commit today but I'm dumping results to a
test location while I make sure that things are stable and probably won't
turn it on until late next week when I'm sure it will perform.  Submitting
a system that fails to start 80% of the time doesn't help any of us out IMO.

I realize there's a LOT of really hard work going on and progress being
made, not discounting that at all.  Just pointing out that populating every
review with "ci-system-xyz failed" doesn't help us out much either.  If
it's backend problems they need fixed, if it's infra problems they need
fixed.  That's the whole point of this exercise to begin with IIRC.

Thanks
John​