[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Use lrzip for upgrade tarball - reject?

Mike Scherbakov mscherbakov at mirantis.com
Fri Aug 22 09:43:11 UTC 2014

> I think 15 minutes is not too bad. Additionally, it will reduce download
time and price for bandwidth.
+1

But let's see if we can find some other solution still in 5.1 (hardlinks,
whatever else), and we obviously need to seriously address it in next
release.

> Perhaps for 6 an option can be made to allow the Fuel master to use
package repositories instead of an upgrade file - and the option can be
used for development and production?
Jessee, could please clarify this? Do you mean to use remote repository
with packages, instead of tarballing everything into single bundle?

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Matthew Mosesohn <mmosesohn at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> Dmitry, we already use lrzuntar in deploying Docker containers. Use a
> lower compression ratio and it will decompress faster on virtual envs and
> it takes under two mins on my virtual env.
>
> Compress:
> https://github.com/stackforge/fuel-main/blob/master/docker/module.mk#L27
>
> Decompress:
> https://github.com/stackforge/fuel-main/blob/master/iso/bootstrap_admin_node.docker.sh#L63
> On Aug 21, 2014 5:54 PM, "Dmitry Pyzhov" <dpyzhov at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
>> Fuelers,
>>
>> Our upgrade tarball for 5.1 is more than 4.5Gb. We can reduce it size by
>> 2Gb with lrzip tool (ticket
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1356813>, change in build system
>> <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/114201/>, change in docs
>> <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/115331/>), but it will dramatically
>> increase unpacking time. I've run unpack on my virtualbox environment and
>> got this result:
>> [root at fuel var]# lrzuntar fuel-5.1-upgrade.tar.lrz
>> Decompressing...
>> 100%    7637.48 /   7637.48 MB
>> Average DeCompression Speed:  8.014MB/s
>> [OK] - 8008478720 bytes
>> Total time: 00:15:52.93
>>
>> My suggestion is to reject this change, release 5.1 with big tarball and
>> find another solution in next release. Any objections?

Mike Scherbakov
#mihgen