[openstack-dev] [openstack][DOUBT]Please clarify

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Aug 22 03:51:39 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 2:11 AM, Sharath V <vsharathis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Friends,  Have an doubt, please clarify me .!!  When i start
> understanding openstack , There are three nodes a) controller node
> b)Compute node c) Network node
> i) as my understanding controller node contains all the components like
> nova,neutron cinder,glance,swift,Horizon etc
>
> ii) Compute node is nova and neutron but not all components.
>
> iii) Network node is nova and neutron.

This three node description is for the install guide, where our goal is to
get you to be able to launch an instance or store an object for example.
For running a real production cloud there are many more considerations. I'd
suggest reading the Operations Guide first, such as
http://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ops/content/cloud_controller_design.html
which says that the cloud controller is just a simplification.

> when i reading doc , they said like openstack compute (Controller
> Services) , openstack network services (Cloud controller) , can you please
> clarify is each and every component of openstack has controller and client?
> [like Nova Service(Controller) - Nova Client, Neutron Service (Controller)
> - neutron client, cinder controller - cinder client ] or (nova controller
> for compute , nova-network for cloud controller),

There's a much more detailed description of each service in
http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/compute-service.html

> Is Nova only controller , if nova is only a controller it must be act as
> orchestration right? if yes then why we have to use heat for orchestration ?

The nova project works on launching instances, scheduling which host it
launches to, providing the REST API service, allocating network and storage
resources to VMs. I have seen orchestration used for these collective
activities. When you want to orchestrate several cloud resources in order
to run an application such as WordPress on a virtual platform, then you
orchestrate the application with the heat project. Read more here:
http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/orchestration-service.html

Hope this helps you dig deeper into the documentation.

Anne