[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] repackage ceilometer and ceilometerclient

Osanai, Hisashi osanai.hisashi at jp.fujitsu.com
Fri Aug 22 03:15:51 UTC 2014

Hi,

The main purpose of the BP is
move swift_middleware.py in the ceilometer package to the ceilometerclinet package.

In order to achieve this moving, we need to solve dependencies
which the swift_middleware.py has.

We have the following two ideas to remove the dependencies:
(1) rewrite swift_middleware with oslo.messaging
    http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-July/041628.html
(2) move modules which has the dependencies to ceilometerclient
    I wrote this idea in the BP. And you pointed out this approach is not possible.

I would like to realize moving swift_middleware.py from the ceilometer package to
the ceilometerclient package. For me it is very difficult to convince users of
installing the ceilometer package on Proxy Nodes for just using the swift middleware
because of maintenance costs. Operators in users must check security patches for
installed packages on Proxy Nodes even if these are not used on the nodes.

I think that both ideas for removing the dependencies realize the purpose and
also understand your thought is a way which the ceilometer spec. is going to.
Here I asked you the following minor question.

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:12 PM, Nejc Saje wrote:
> > I don't think there's any way the modules you mention in the BP can be
> > moved into ceilometerclient.

But I'm not sure the real problem to move the modules. My understanding is
- the ceilometer package has dependency with ceilometerclient so it is easy to
  move them
- all callers for using the moved modules must change paths.

If the above approach can work, we can proceed this BP and rewriting swift_middleware
with oslo.messaging separately.

I will take a bit strong stand on moving the swift_middleware.py from the ceilometer
package to the ceilometerclient package but for how to remove the dependencies I will
take a middle-of-the-road position.:)

Best Regards,
Hisashi Osanai