[openstack-dev] New feature on Nova

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 15:12:03 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 05:00:59PM +0200, thomas.pessione at orange.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry if I am not on the right mailing list. I would like to get some
> information.
>
> I would like to know if I am a company who wants to add a feature on
> an openstack module. How do we have to proceed ? And so, what is the
> way this new feature be adopted by the community.

The Nova team follows what we call the "Specs & blueprints" process
for the proposal & approval & implementation of new features. There
is a reasonable overview of it here:

  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Blueprints#Spec_.2B_Blueprints_lifecycle

In essence we have a template text document which you fill in with
info about your desired feature. The Nova team reviews that and
after one or more iterations of feedback+update we'll either approve
or reject the proposed feature. Once approved you can write the code
and submit it for review in the appropriate release.

> The feature is, the maintenance mode.  That is to say, disable a compute
> node and do live migration on all the instances which are  running on
> the host.

I have a feeling that this proposal from another contributor might do
the kind of thing you are describing here:

  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-novaclient/+spec/host-servers-live-migrate

Regards,
Daniel