[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Thu Aug 21 14:42:25 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 4:09 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
> Zane Bitter wrote:
>> On 11/08/14 05:24, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>>> This all has created a world where you need to be*in*  OpenStack to
>>> matter, or to justify the investment. This has created a world where
>>> everything and everyone wants to be in the "OpenStack" integrated
>>> release. This has created more pressure to add new projects, and less
>>> pressure to fix and make the existing projects perfect. 4 years in, we
>>> might want to inflect that trajectory and take steps to fix this world.
>>
>> We should certainly consider this possibility, that we've set up
>> perverse incentives leading to failure. But what if it's just because we
>> haven't yet come even close to satisfying all of our users' needs? I
>> mean, AWS has more than 30 services that could be considered equivalent
>> in scope to an OpenStack project... if anything our scope is increasing
>> more _slowly_ than the industry at large. I'm slightly shocked that
>> nobody in this thread appears to have even entertained the idea that
>> *this is what success looks like*.
>>
>> The world is not going to stop because we want to get off, take a
>> breather, do a "consolidation cycle".
>
> That's an excellent counterpoint, thank you for voicing it so eloquently.
>
> Our challenge is to improve our structures so that we can follow the
> rhythm the world imposes on us. It's a complex challenge, especially in
> an open collaboration experiment where you can't rely that much on past
> experiences or traditional methods. So it's always tempting to slow
> things down, to rate-limit our "success" to make that challenge easier.

++

Thanks for wording this perfectly. It's sometimes easy to look at
things through a single lens, as a community it's good when we look at
all the angles of a problem.

I think the main point is it's sometimes hard to judge the future of a
project like OpenStack from the past, because as we move forward we
add new variables to the equation. Thus, adjusting on the fly is
really the only way forward. The points in this thread make it clear
we're doing that as a project, but perhaps not at a quick enough pace.

Thanks,
Kyle