[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] indicating sample provenance

Nejc Saje nsaje at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 05:44:57 UTC 2014

On 08/20/2014 09:25 PM, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2014, gordon chung wrote:
>
>> disclaimer: i'm just riffing and the following might be nonsense.
>
> /me is a huge fan of riffing
>
>> i guess also to extend your question about agents leaving/joining. i'd
>> expect there is some volatility to the agents where an agent may or
>> may not exist at the point of debugging... just curious what the
>> benefit is of knowing who sent it if all the agents are just clones of
>> each other.
>
> What I'm thinking of is situation where some chunk of samples is
> arriving at the data store and is in some fashion outside the
> expected norms when compared to others.
>
> If, from looking at the samples, you can tell that they were all
> published from the (used-to-be-)central-agent on host X then you can
> go to host X and have a browse around there to see what might be up.
>
> It's unlikely that the agent is going to be the cause of any
> weirdness but if it _is_ then we'd like to be able to locate it. As
> things currently stand there's no way, from the sample itself, to do
> so.
>
> Thus, the "benefit of knowing who sent it" is that though the agents
> themselves are clones, they are in regions and on hosts that are
> not.
>
> Beyond all those potentially good reasons there's also just the
> simple matter that it is good data hygiene to know where stuff came
> from?

More riffing: we are moving away from per-sample specific data with
Gnocchi. I don't think we should store this per-sample, since the user
doesn't actually care about which agent the sample came from. The user
cares about which *resource* it came from.

I could see this going into an agent's log. On each polling cycle, we
could log which *resources* we are responsible (not samples).

Cheers,
Nejc