[openstack-dev] [QA] Picking a Name for the Tempest Library

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Wed Aug 20 13:00:38 UTC 2014

On 08/18/2014 04:57 PM, Matthew Treinish wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 06:27:19PM +0200, Marc Koderer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Am 15.08.2014 um 23:31 schrieb Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com>:
>>> I suggest that "tempest" should be the name of the import'able library, and that the integration tests themselves should be what is pulled out of the current Tempest repository, into their own repo called "openstack-integration-tests" or "os-integration-tests".
>> why not keeping it simple:
>>
>> tempest: importable test library
>> tempest-tests: all the test cases
>>
>> Simple, obvious and clear ;)
>>
> While I agree that I like how this looks, and that it keeps things simple, I
> don't think it's too feasible. The problem is the tempest namespace is already
> kind of large and established. The libification effort, while reducing some of
> that, doesn't eliminate it completely. So what this ends meaning is that we'll
> have to do a rename for a large project in order to split certain functionality
> out into a smaller library. Which really doesn't seem like the best way to do
> it, because a rename is a considerable effort.
>
> Another wrinkle to consider is that the tempest namespace on pypi is already in
> use: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Tempest so if we wanted to publish the library
> as tempest we'd need to figure out what to do about that.
>
> -Matt Treinish
Yes, I agree. Tempest is also used by Refstack, Rally, and I'm sure many
other parts of our ecosystem. I would vote for tempest-lib as the
library and keeping tempest to mean the same thing in the ecosystem as
it does at present. I would also not be opposed to a different name than
tempest-lib if it were related to its function.

  -David