[openstack-dev] [TripleO] devtest environment for virtual or true bare metal

Gregory Haynes greg at greghaynes.net
Mon Aug 18 23:31:24 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Ben Nemec's message of 2014-08-08 22:25:35 +0000:
> That sounds essentially correct.  Note that all 15 vms aren't used in a
> normal devtest run, but we create them all anyway because of some
> difficulties adding new environments in some situations (namely CI, I
> believe).
>
> On 08/05/2014 11:27 AM, LeslieWang wrote:
> > Hi Ben,
> > Thanks for your reply.
> > Actually I'm a little confused by "virtual environment". I guess what it means is as below:  - 1 Seed VM as deployment starting point.  - Both undercloud and overcloud images are loaded into Glance of Seed VM.  - 15 VMs are created. 1 for undercloud, 1 for overcloud controller, left 13 are for overcloud compute.  - 1 Host machine acts as container for all 15 VMs. It can be separated from Seed VM.  - Seed VM communicates with Host machine to create 15 VMs and installed corresponding images.  Is it correct? Or can you roughly introduces the topology of the devtest virtual environment.
> > Best RegardsLeslie Wang

Yes, im not sure that '15 VMs are created' is entirely correct - we
create 15 vm definitions. This does include qcow2 images but these
typically start much smaller than their full possible size on disk.
The distinction is, as Ben points out, that we do not actually deploy to
all of these VMs.

In addition to the CI issues, we specify a static number that is large
enough for full runs to more correctly emulate a real deployment -
typically you have a set number of servers to deploy on which is not
directly determined by your deployment requirements.

Cheers,
Greg