[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Sat Aug 16 13:05:12 UTC 2014

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014, Sandy Walsh wrote:

> I recently suggested that the Ceilometer API (and integration tests)
> be separated from the implementation (two repos) so others might plug
> in a different implementation while maintaining compatibility, but
> that wasn't well received.
>
> Personally, I'd like to see that model extended for all OpenStack
> projects. Keep compatible at the API level and welcome competing
> implementations.

I think this is a _very_ interesting idea, especially the way it fits
in with multiple themes that have bounced around the list lately, not
just this thread:

* Improving project-side testing; that is, pre-gate integration
   testing.

* Providing a framework (at least conceptual) on which to inform the
   tempest-libification.

* Solidifying both intra- and inter-project API contracts (both HTTP
   and notifications).

* Providing a solid basis on which to enable healthy competition between
   implementations.

* Helping to ensure that the various projects work to the goals of their
   public facing name rather than their internal name (e.g. Telemetry
   vs ceilometer).

Given the usual trouble with resource availability it seems best to
find tactics that can be applied to multiple strategic goals.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent