[openstack-dev] Enabling silent Docker tests for Nova?

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 19:10:48 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/15/2014 02:53 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> > On 08/15/2014 02:45 PM, Eric Windisch wrote:
> >> I have proposed a _silent_ check for Nova for integration of the Docker
> >> driver:
> >>
> >>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/114547/
> >>
> >> It has been established that this code cannot move back into Nova until
> >> the tests are running and have a solid history of success. That cannot
> >> happen unless we're allowed to run the tests. Running a silent check on
> >> changes to Nova is the first step in establishing that history.
> >>
> >> Joe Gordon suggests we need a spec to bring the driver back into Nova.
> >> Besides the fact that specs are closed and there is no intention of
> >> reintegrating the driver for Juno, I'm uncertain of proposing a spec
> >> without first having solid history of successful testing, especially
> >> given the historical context of this driver's relationship with Nova.
> >>
> >> If we could enable silent checks, we could help minimize API skew and
> >> branch breakages, improving driver quality and reducing maintenance
> >> while we prepare for the Kilo spec + merge windows. Furthermore, by
> >> having a history of testing, we can seek faster inclusion into Kilo.
> >>
> >> Finally, I acknowledge that we may be entering a window of significant
> >> load on the CI servers and I'm sensitive to the needs of the
> >> infrastructure team to remain both focused and to conserve precious
> >> compute resources. If this is an issue, then I'd like to plot a
> >> timeline, however rough, with the infrastructure team.
> >
> > CI resources aside, I think enabling it sounds fine and useful.
> >
> > Given resource concerns, maybe just adding it to the experimental
> > pipeline would be sufficient?  That doesn't run as often, but still
> > gives you the chance to run on demand against nova patches.  There are
> > other things in experimental for nova as well, so there will be other
> > people triggering runs.
> >

> And I missed that it's already in experimental.  Oops.
>
> Feature freeze is only a few weeks away (Sept 4).  How about we just
> leave it in experimental until after that big push?  That seems pretty
> reasonable.

Sounds like a good idea to me too. Also I am unsure if we ant to have this
running as silent for a long period of time. Yes, as experimental job its
hard to get a large enough data set, so we need to generate a larger data
set, but how big is big enough? Will running this job on silent for 1 week
be enough? 2 weeks?