[openstack-dev] [heat] heat docker multi host scheduling support

Eric Windisch ewindisch at docker.com
Fri Aug 15 14:00:05 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 3:21 AM, Malawade, Abhijeet <
Abhijeet.Malawade at nttdata.com> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>

> I am trying to use heat to create docker containers. I have configured
> heat-docker plugin.
>
> I am also able to create stack using heat successfully.
>

> To start container on different host we need to provide 'docker_endpoint'
> in template. For this we have to provide host address where container will
> run in template.
>

> Is there any way to schedule docker container on available hosts using
> heat-docker plugin without giving 'docker_endpoint' in template file.
>
> Is heat-docker plugin supports managing docker hosts cluster with
> scheduling logic.
>

> Please let me know your suggestions on the same.

Zane's responses were correct. Effort is underway, planning the development
of a containers service. This architecture of this service actually looks
quite a bit like the Docker+Heat+Nova story, but simplified through a
Nova-like API.  The spec for this is in progress:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/114044/

As for scheduling with Docker+Heat, one option is to use swarmd/libswarm.
Unfortunately, this is an early-stage project, so it isn't quite an
out-of-the-box solution; It's not "production-ready", but you're welcome to
investigate it... The usage model with Heat would be to spawn your Nova
instances not only with Docker, but with a connector to a libswarm server
(swarmd). That swarmd process would need to be running an listening
somewhere.  You'd need to load (and possibly write) plugins for
libswarm/swarmd to provide your scheduling. Your docker_endpoint would be
the IP/port of swarmd, and it would proxy those requests to the correct
backend Docker hosts.

--
Regards,
Eric Windisch