[openstack-dev] [nova][core] Expectations of core reviewers

CARVER, PAUL pc2929 at att.com
Thu Aug 14 15:31:30 UTC 2014

Russell Bryant [mailto:rbryant at redhat.com] wrote:

>An ideal solution would allow attendees to join as individuals from
>anywhere.  A lot of contributors work from home.  Is that sort of thing
>compatible with your system?

In principle, yes, but that loses the immersive telepresence aspect
which is the next best thing to an in-person meetup (which is where
this thread started.)

AT&T Employees live and breathe on AT&T Connect which is our
teleconferencing (not telepresence) service. It supports webcam
video as well as desktop sharing, but I'm on the verge of making
a sales pitch here which was NOT my intent.

I'm on AT&T Connect meetings 5+ times a day but I'm biased so I
won't offer any opinion on how it compares to WebEx, GotoMeeting,
and other services. None of them are really equivalent to the
purpose built telepresence rooms.

My point was that there may well be a telepresence room within
reasonable driving distance for a large number of OpenStack
contributors if we were able to get a number of the large
OpenStack participant companies to open their doors to an
occasional meet-up. Instead of asking participants around
the globe to converge on a single physical location for
a meet-up, perhaps they could converge on the closest of
20 different locations that are linked via telepresence.