[openstack-dev] [Neutron][DevStack] How to increase developer usage of Neutron

CARVER, PAUL pc2929 at att.com
Thu Aug 14 13:35:17 UTC 2014

Mike Spreitzer [mailto:mspreitz at us.ibm.com] wrote:

>I'll bet I am not the only developer who is not highly competent with
>bridges and tunnels, Open VSwitch, Neutron configuration, and how DevStack
>transmutes all those.  My bet is that you would have more developers using
>Neutron if there were an easy-to-find and easy-to-follow recipe to use, to
>create a developer install of OpenStack with Neutron.  One that's a pretty
>basic and easy case.  Let's say a developer gets a recent image of Ubuntu
>14.04 from Canonical, and creates an instance in some undercloud, and that
>instance has just one NIC, at 10.9.8.7/16.  If there were a recipe for
>such a developer to follow from that point on, it would be great.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NeutronDevstack worked for me.

However, I'm pretty sure it's only a single node all in one setup. At least,
I created only one VM to run it on and I don't think DevStack has created
multiple nested VMs inside of the one I create to run DevStack. I haven't
gotten around to figuring out how to setup a full multi-node DevStack
setup with separate compute nodes and network nodes and GRE/VXLAN tunnels.

There are multi-node instructions on that wiki page but I haven't tried
following them. If someone has a Vagrant file that creates a full multi-
node Neutron devstack complete with GRE/VXLAN tunnels it would be great
if they could add it to that wiki page.