[openstack-dev] Annoucing CloudKitty : an OpenSource Rating-as-a-Service project for OpenStack

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Aug 14 12:57:48 UTC 2014

Sounds very interesting. We're currently collecting detailed (and verified) usage information in StackTach and are keen to see what CloudKitty is able to offer. My one wish is that you keep the components as small pip redistributables with low coupling to promote reuse with other projects. Many tiny repos and clear API's (internal and external) are good for adoption and contribution.

All the best!
-Sandy

From: Christophe Sauthier [christophe.sauthier at objectif-libre.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 10:40 AM
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: [openstack-dev] Annoucing CloudKitty : an OpenSource Rating-as-a-Service project for OpenStack

We are very pleased at Objectif Libre to intoduce CloudKitty, an effort
to provide a fully OpenSource Rating-as-a-Service component in
OpenStack..

Following a first POC presented during the last summit in Atlanta to
some Ceilometer devs (thanks again Julien Danjou for your great support
!), we continued our effort to create a real service for rating. Today
we are happy to share it with you all.

So what do we propose in CloudKitty?
  - a service for collecting metrics (using Ceilometer API)
  - a modular rating architecture to enable/disable modules and create
your own rules on-the-fly, allowing you to use the rating patterns you
like
  - an API to interact with the whole environment from core components
to every rating module
  - a Horizon integration to allow configuration of the rating modules
and display of pricing information in "real time" during instance
creation
  - a CLI client to access this information and easily configure
everything

Technically we are using all the elements that are used in the various
OpenStack projects like olso, stevedore, pecan...
CloudKitty is highly modular and allows integration / developement of
third party collection and rating modules and output formats.

A roadmap is available on the project wiki page (the link is at the end
of this email), but we are clearly hoping to have some feedback and
ideas on how to improve the project and reach a tighter integration with
OpenStack.

The project source code is available at
http://github.com/stackforge/cloudkitty
More stuff will be available on stackforge as soon as the reviews get
validated like python-cloudkittyclient and cloudkitty-dashboard, so stay
tuned.

The project's wiki page (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CloudKitty)
provides more information, and you can reach us via irc on freenode:
#cloudkitty. Developper's documentation is on its way to readthedocs
too.

We plan to present CloudKitty in detail during the Paris Summit, but we
would love to hear from you sooner...

Cheers,

              Christophe and Objectif Libre

----
Christophe Sauthier                           Mail :
christophe.sauthier at objectif-libre.com
CEO & Fondateur                               Mob : +33 (0) 6 16 98 63
96
Objectif Libre                                URL :
www.objectif-libre.com
Infrastructure et Formations Linux            Twitter : @objectiflibre