[openstack-dev] [nova][core] Expectations of core reviewers

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Aug 14 03:31:24 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just wanted to quickly weigh in with my thoughts on this important topic. I
> very much valued the face-to-face interaction that came from the mid-cycle
> meetup in Beaverton (it was the only one I've ever been to).
>
> That said, I do not believe it should be a requirement that cores make it to
> the face-to-face meetings in-person. A number of folks have brought up very
> valid concerns about personal/family time, travel costs and burnout.

I'm not proposing they be a requirement. I am proposing that they be
strongly encouraged.

> I believe that the issue raised about furthering the divide between core and
> non-core folks is actually the biggest reason I don't support a mandate to
> have cores at the face-to-face meetings, and I think we should make our best
> efforts to support quality virtual meetings that can be done on a more
> frequent basis than the face-to-face meetings that would be optional.

I am all for online meetings, but we don't have a practical way to do
them at the moment apart from IRC. Until someone has a concrete
proposal that's been shown to work, I feel its a straw man argument.

Michael

--
Rackspace Australia