[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Simple proposal for stabilizing new features in-tree

Aaron Rosen aaronorosen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 22:56:50 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've been thinking a good bit on this on the right way to move forward with
this and in general the right way new services should be added. Yesterday I
was working on a bug that was causing some problems in the openstack infra.
We tracked down the issue then I uploaded a patch for it. A little while
later after jenkins voted back a -1 so I started looking through the logs
to see what the source of the failure was (which was actually unrelated to
my patch). The random failure in the fwaas/vpn/l3-agent code which all
outputs to the same log file that contains many traces for every run even
successful ones. In one skim of this log file I was able to spot 4 [1]bugs
which shows  these new "experimental" services that we've added to neutron
have underlying problems (even though they've been in the tree for 2
releases+ now). This puts a huge strain on the whole openstack development
community as they are always recheck no bug'ing due to neutron failures.

If you look at the fwaas work that was done. This merged over two releases
ago and still does not have a complete API as there is no concept of where
enforcement should be done. Today, enforcement is done across all of a
tenant's routers making it more or less useless imho and we're just
carrying it along in the tree (and it's causing us problems)!

I think Mark's idea of neutron-incubator[2] is a great step forward to
improving neutron.

We can easily move these things out of the neutron source tree and we can
plug these things in here:
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/master/etc/neutron.conf#L52
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/master/etc/neutron.conf#L72
(GASP: We have seen shipped our own API's here to customers before we were
able to upstream them).

This allows us to decouple these experimental things from the neutron core
and allows us to release these components on their own making things more
modular/maintainable and stable (I think these things might even be better
long term living out of the tree).  Most importantly though it doesn't put
a burden on everyone else.

Best,

Aaron

[1]