[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Aug 13 18:54:16 UTC 2014

On 08/13/2014 07:33 AM, Ian Wells wrote:
> I have no great answer to this, but is there a way - perhaps via team
> sponsorship from cores to ensure that the general direction is right,
> and cloned repositories for purpose-specific changes, as one example -
> that we can get an audience of people to check, try and test proposed
> changes long before they need reviewing for final inclusion?

We (OpenStack project as a whole) have a few ways to  develop and offer
'new' things to others for experiment, fiddle, even ship to customers.

There is stackforge, a place where new code is already being tested,
proposed, incubated, what-have-you. Example: the AWS EC2 and GCE API
compatibility, Congress, Manila, Murano, Gnocchi...

There are incubator repositories, think Oslo-incubator, that regularly
have new things tested and spun-off.

There is also the option of out-of-openstack repositories, like Swift3
for a long time.

Unfortunately we have *a lot* of incentives for code to be in-tree and
"integrated", so many of these options carry a stigma, they're
second-class options. I think we may want to review the incentives we've
put as some of them may have already served their purpose and probably
time has come for them to be removed/transformed. A topic for another
thread.

/stef