[openstack-dev] [Nova] Concerns around the Extensible Resource Tracker design - revert maybe?

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Wed Aug 13 10:21:42 UTC 2014

Le 12/08/2014 22:06, Sylvain Bauza a écrit :

> [...]
> resources like flavor or image metadata.
> I also think indeed that the big 'usage' blob is not a good choice for
> long-term vision.
>
> That said, I don't think as we say in French to throw the bath
> water... ie. the problem is with the RT, not the ERT (apart the
> mention of third-party API that you noted - I'll go to it later below)
>>> And here is where I agree with you : at the moment, ResourceTracker
>>> (and
>>> consequently Extensible RT) only provides the view of the resources the
>>> host is knowing (see my point above) and possibly some other resources
>>> are missing.
>>> So, whatever your choice of going with or without ERT, your patch [3]
>>> still deserves it if we want not to lookup DB each time a claim goes.

>>> Two distinct implementations of that spec (ie. instances and flavors)
>>> have been proposed [2.3] [2.4] so reviews are welcome. If you see the
>>> test() method, it's no-op thing for both plugins. I'm open to comments
>>> because I have the stated problem : how can we define a limit on just a
>>> counter of instances and flavors ?
>>>
>> Will look at these - but none of them seem to hit the issue I am
>> complaining about, and that is that it will need to consider other
>> request data for claims, not only data available for on instances.
>>
>> Also - the fact that you don't implement test() in flavor ones tells me
>> that the implementation is indeed racy (but it is racy atm as well) and
>> two requests can indeed race for the same host, and since no claims are
>> done, both can succeed. This is I believe (at least in case of single
>> flavor hosts) unlikely to happen in practice, but you get the idea.
>
> Agreed, these 2 patches probably require another iteration, in
> particular how we make sure that it won't be racy. So I need another
> run to think about what to test() for these 2 examples.
> Another patch has to be done for aggregates, but it's still WIP so not
> mentioned here.
>
> Anyway, as discussed during today's meeting, these 2 patches will not
> be based on ERT because of the risk it goes for Juno so let's scope
> them out of this thread.

>>> IMHO, I think the problem is more likely that the regular RT misses
>>> some
>>> information for each host so it requires to handle it on a case-by-case
>>> basis, but I don't think ERT either increases complexity or creates
>>> another issue.
>>>
>> RT does not miss info about the host, but about the particular request
>> which we have to fish out of different places like image_metadata
>> extra_specs etc, yet - it can't really work without them. This is
>> definitely a RT issue that is not specific to ERT.
>
> +1, I agree with you, that's an API issue for RT : how do we pass out
> user-defined metrics ?
> I still need to figure out which kind of usecases are requiring such
> examples, albeit the NUMA usecase of course.

After a night and morning of thinking about this problem, I'm writing
down some ideas that could help fixing the problem (although I don't
think it's a long-term scenario, rather a workaround) :

Considering you need the metadata of the flavor asked by user when
claiming a resource :
1. Compute Manager knows request_spec when building an instance, so it
could pass out request_spec as paramater (optional or not) to
rt.instance_claim() in the claim context
2. As ERT does, when claiming, it calls the ERT plugin .test() method so
with request_spec as extra parameter
3. On the ERT side, a plugin is responsible for calling (and caching)
all flavors metadata, or even only the key you need to compare
4. Scheduler knows flavors metadata thanks to ERT plugin and blueprint
isolate-scheduler-db so it makes decisions on the same subset as the RT
5. When claiming in ERT plugin test(), it extracts the flavor_id, looks
at the internal in-memory representation of flavors to get the metadata,
and calls the NUMA _test_numa_topology() method for checking wrt this
flavor metadata

The idea is that so filters and claims are doing separate decisions on
the same source of knowledge, here being ERT.

-Sylvain