[openstack-dev] [neutron] Which changes need accompanying bugs?

Angus Lees gus at inodes.org
Wed Aug 13 07:28:25 UTC 2014

I'm doing various small cleanup changes as I explore the neutron codebase.
Some of these cleanups are to fix actual bugs discovered in the code.  Almost
all of them are tiny and "obviously correct".

A recurring reviewer comment is that the change should have had an
accompanying bug report and that they would rather that change was not
submitted without one (or at least, they've -1'ed my change).

I often didn't discover these issues by encountering an actual production
issue so I'm unsure what to include in the bug report other than basically a
copy of the change description.  I also haven't worked out the pattern yet of
which changes should have a bug and which don't need one.

There's a section describing blueprints in NeutronDevelopment but nothing on
bugs.  It would be great if someone who understands the nuances here could add
some words on when to file bugs:
Which type of changes should have accompanying bug reports?
What is the purpose of that bug, and what should it contain?

 - Gus