[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Heat] reverting the HOT migration? // dealing with lockstep changes

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Aug 12 23:05:39 UTC 2014

On 12 August 2014 10:46, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> On 12 August 2014 07:24, Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2014-08-12 at 06:58 +1200, Robert Collins wrote:
>>> Hi, so shortly after the HOT migration landed, we hit
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1354305 which is that on even
>>> quite recently deployed clouds, the migrated templates were just too
>>> new. A partial revert (of just the list_join bit) fixes that, but a
>>> deeper problem emerged which is that stack-update to get from a
>>> non-HOT to HOT template appears broken
>>> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+bug/1354962).
>>>
>>> I think we need to revert the HOT migration today, as forcing a
>>> scorched earth recreation of a cloud is not a great answer for folk
>>> that have deployed versions - its a backwards compat issue.
>>>
>>> Its true that our release as of icehouse isn't  really useable, so we
>>> could try to wiggle our way past this one, but I think as the first
>>> real test of our new backwards compat policy, that that would be a
>>> mistake.
>>
>> Hmmm. We blocked a good bit of changes to get these HOT templates in so
>> I hate to see us revert them. Also, It isn't clear to me how much work
>> it would be to fully support the non-HOT to HOT templates upgrade path.
>> How much work is this? And is that something we really want to spend
>> time on instead of all the other things?
>
> Following up with Heat folk, apparently the non-HOT->HOTness was a
> distraction - I'll validate this on the hp1 region asap, since I too
> would rather not revert stuff.

I've reproduced the problem with zane's fix for the validation error -
and it does indeed still break:
"| stack_status_reason  | StackValidationFailed: Property error :
NovaCompute6:

             "

> We may need to document a two-step upgrade process for the UC - step 1
> upgrade the UC image, *same* template, step 2, use new template to get
> new functionality.

... once we can actually do the stack update at all :).

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist