[openstack-dev] [tc][ceilometer] Some background on the gnocchi project

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 21:46:06 UTC 2014

> >> I guess it begs the question, if influxdb will do what you want and it's
> >> open source (MIT) as well as commercially supported, how does gnocchi
> >> differentiate?
> > Hi Sandy,
> >
> > One of the ideas behind gnocchi is to combine resource representation
> > and timeseries-oriented storage of metric data, providing an efficient
> > and convenient way to query for metric data associated with individual
> > resources.
>
> Doesn't InfluxDB do the same?

InfluxDB stores timeseries data primarily.

Gnocchi in intended to store strongly-typed OpenStack resource
representations (instance, images, etc.) in addition to providing
a means to access timeseries data associated with those resources.

So to answer your question: no, IIUC, it doesn't do the same thing.

Though of course these things are not a million miles from each
other, one is just a step up in the abstraction stack, having a
wider and more OpenStack-specific scope.

> > Also, having an API layered above the storage driver avoids locking in
> > directly with a particular metrics-oriented DB, allowing for the
> > potential to support multiple storage driver options (e.g. to choose
> > between a canonical implementation based on Swift, an InfluxDB driver,
> > and an OpenTSDB driver, say).
> Right, I'm not suggesting to remove the storage abstraction layer. I'm
> just curious what gnocchi does better/different than InfluxDB?
>
> Or, am I missing the objective here and gnocchi is the abstraction layer
> and not an influxdb alternative? If so, my apologies for the confusion.

No worries :)

The intention is for gnocchi to provide an abstraction over
timeseries, aggregation, downsampling and archiving/retention
policies, with a number of drivers mapping onto real timeseries
storage options. One of those drivers is based on Swift, another
is in the works based on InfluxDB, and a third based on OpenTSDB
has also been proposed.

Cheers,
Eoghan