[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron][Technical Committee] nova-network -> Neutron. Throwing a wrench in the Neutron gap analysis

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Mon Aug 11 03:21:40 UTC 2014

On 09/08/14 05:09, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 08/06/2014 01:41 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:

>>> I think you've got it there, Rob - nicely put :)
>>>
>>> In many cases the users I've spoken to who are looking for a live path
>>> out of nova-network on to neutron are actually completely OK with some
>>> "API service" downtime (metadata service is an API service by their
>>> definition). A little 'glitch' in the network is also OK for many of
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Contrast that with the original proposal in this thread ("snapshot VMs
>>> in old nova-network deployment, store in Swift or something, then launch
>>> VM from a snapshot in new Neutron deployment") - it is completely
>>> unacceptable and is not considered a migration path for these users.
>>
>> Who are these users? Can we speak with them? Would they be interested in
>> participating in the documentation and migration feature process?
>
> Yes, I'd really like to see some participation in the development of a
> solution if it's an important requirement.  Until then, it feels like a
> case of an open question of "what do you want".  Of course the answer is
> "a pony".

... and this is exactly why """...raising this concept only on a
development mailing list is a bad idea

If anyone is serious about not providing a proper migration path for
these users that need it, there is a need to be yelling this for
probably a few of summits in a row and every OpenStack event we have in
between, as well as the full gamut of periodic surveys, blogs, twitters,
weibos, linkedins, facebooks etc,"""

So, get cracking :)

Regards,

Tom