[openstack-dev] Fwd: FW: [Neutron] Group Based Policy and the way forward

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 00:38:18 UTC 2014

>  One advantage of the service plugin is that one can leverage the neutron
> common framework such as Keystone authentication where common scoping is
> done. It would be important in the policy type of framework to have such
> scoping

The framework you're referring to is common and already reusable, it's not
a prerogative of Neutron.

> While the service plugin has scalability issues as pointed above that it
> resides in neutron server, it is however stable and user configurable and a
> lot of common code is executed for networking services.

This is what static or dynamic libraries are for and reused for; I can have
a building block and reuse it many times the way I see fit keeping my
components' lifecycles separate.

> So while we make the next generation services framework more distributed
> and scalable, it is ok to do it under the current framework especially
> since it has provision for the user to opt in when needed.

A next generation services framework is not a prerequisite to integrating
two OpenStack projects via REST APIs. I don't see how we would associate
the two concepts together.