[openstack-dev] [oslo] usage patterns for oslo.config

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 17:30:50 UTC 2014

Hi Alistair,

Modules can register their own options and there is no need to call reload_config_files. The config files are parsed and values stored in case the option is later declared. The only time you need to reload files is if you add new config files in the new module. See the example code:

from oslo.config import cfg
with open("foo", "w") as f:
    f.write("[DEFAULT]\nfoo=bar")

cfg.CONF(["--config-file", "foo"])
try:
    print cfg.CONF.foo
except cfg.NoSuchOptError:
    print "NO OPT"
    # OUT: 'NO OPT'

cfg.CONF.register_opt(cfg.StrOpt("foo"))
print cfg.CONF.foo
cfg.CONF.foo
# OUT: ‘bar'

One thing to keep in mind is you don’t want to use config values at import time, since this tends to be before the config files have been loaded.

Vish