[openstack-dev] testing performance/latency of various components?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri Aug 8 16:03:38 UTC 2014

Is there a straightforward way to determine where the time is going when
I run a command from novaclient?

For instance, if I run "nova list", that's going to run novaclient,
which will send a message to nova-api, which wakes up and does some
processing and sends a message to nova-conductor, which wakes up and
does some processing and then calls out to the database, which wakes up
and does some processing and sends the response back to nova-conductor,
etc...  And the messaging goes via rabbit, so there are additional
messaging and wake-ups involved there.

Suppose nova-list takes A amount of time to run...is there a standard
way to determine how much time was spent in nova-api, in nova-conductor,
in the database, in rabbit, how much was due to scheduler delays, etc.?
  Or would I be looking at needing to instrument everything to get that
level of detail?

Chris