[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Aug 7 13:20:38 UTC 2014

On 08/07/2014 09:07 AM, Sean Dague wrote:> I think the difference is
slot selection would just be Nova drivers. I
> think there is an assumption in the old system that everyone in Nova
> core wants to prioritize the blueprints. I think there are a bunch of
> folks in Nova core that are happy having signaling from Nova drivers on
> high priority things to review. (I know I'm in that camp.)
>
> Lacking that we all have picking algorithms to hack away at the 500 open
> reviews. Which basically means it's a giant random queue.
>
> Having a few blueprints that *everyone* is looking at also has the
> advantage that the context for the bits in question will tend to be
> loaded into multiple people's heads at the same time, so is something
> that's discussable.
>
> Will it fix the issue, not sure, but it's an idea.

OK, got it.  So, success critically depends on nova-core being willing
to take review direction and priority setting from nova-drivers.  That
sort of assumption is part of why I think agile processes typically
don't work in open source.  We don't have the ability to direct people
with consistent and reliable results.

I'm afraid if people doing the review are not directly involved in at
least ACKing the selection and commiting to review something, putting
stuff in slots seems futile.

--
Russell Bryant