[openstack-dev] Fwd: FW: [Neutron] Group Based Policy and the way forward

Nachi Ueno nachi at ntti3.com
Thu Aug 7 10:31:20 UTC 2014

Hi folks

I think this thread is still mixing topics. I feel we can archive 1000 mails :P
so let me name it and let me write my thought on this.

[Topic1] Nova parity priority

I do understand concern and this is highest priority.
However, group based policy effort won't slower this effort.

Because most skilled developers such as  Mark, Oleg and Carl are
working hard for this making happen.
I'm also trying to POC non-DVR approach such as
migrating nova-network directly to the neutron. (Sorry, this is off
topic, but if you are interested in this,
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/12w28HhNpLltSpA6pJvKWBiqeEusaI-NM-OZo8HNyH2w/edit#slide=id.p
is my thought )

Even if codes for GBP and Nova parity is really independent, so it
won't conflict.
Note that if you have any task item related with nova parity work, plz ping me.

[Topic2] Neutron community decision making process

I'm super lazy guy, so I'll be very disappointed the code i write rejected..
( http://openstackreactions.enovance.com/2013/09/when-my-patch-get-2/ )

We are discussing this spec for couple of releases…
IMO, we should have voting process such as IETF or let PTL make final
decision like TTX saying.

[Topic3] Group based policy specs

I'm not jumped in this one. I have already shared my thought on this.
This is still "extension" proposal. so we should let user choose use
this or not.
If it is proven for wide use, then we can discuss making it for core API.

I'm also working on another extension spec. It is deferred for next
release, (http://openstackreactions.enovance.com/2014/04/getting-told-that-this-feature-will-not-be-accepted-before-next-release/
)

but if you have any interest on this plz ping me

http://docs-draft.openstack.org/12/93112/16/check/gate-neutron-specs-docs/afb346d/doc/build/html/specs/juno/security_group_action.html
http://docs-draft.openstack.org/12/93112/16/check/gate-neutron-specs-docs/afb346d/doc/build/html/specs/juno/security_group_for_network.html

[Topic4] Where we develop group based policy stuffs. And generally,
service related stuffs.

I do remember the LBaaS new project meeting at the Summit. I remember
someone says "I don't trust neutron makes this feature make it working
in Juno timeframe.".  I guess he was right..

We should have a new project for service related stuffs.
( http://openstackreactions.enovance.com/2013/11/when-a-new-openstack-project-announce-itself/
)

Best
Nachi