[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Group Based Policy and the way forward

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Wed Aug 6 17:44:07 UTC 2014

As Ronak said, this thread is starting to move in a lot of different
directions, ranging from correctness of the blueprint approval process to
nova/neutron integration, which are rather off topic.

In particular it seems things are being skewed towards a discussion around
nova parity, whereas actually some people have just chimed in with their
honest opinion that with all the stuff still needed to finally be able to
make neutron "THE" openstack networking solution, the effort towards adding
a new tenant facing API appears to have a lesser priority.

I just want to reassure everybody that the majority of the core team and a
large part of the community have actually made this their first priority.
For what is worth, some of them have even delayed plugin/driver specific
development to this aim.

So I would invite to go back to the original subject of the discussion,
that is to say decide as a community what would the best way forward for
this effort.
I see so far the following options:
- merge the outstanding patches, assuming there are no further technical
concerns, and include GBP in Juno.
- consider GBP an 'experimental' V3 tenant API (this was mentioned
somewhere in this thread) and treat it accordingly
- delay to the next release
- move the development of the service plugin to stackforge as suggested to
this thread.

More options are obviously welcome!

Regards,
Salvatore