[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron][Technical Committee] nova-network -> Neutron. Throwing a wrench in the Neutron gap analysis

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Wed Aug 6 03:25:57 UTC 2014

On 06/08/14 03:54, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 08/05/2014 03:23 PM, Collins, Sean wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 12:50:45PM EDT, Monty Taylor wrote:
>>> However, I think the cost to providing that path far outweighs
>>> the benefit in the face of other things on our plate.
>>
>> Perhaps those large operators that are hoping for a
>> Nova-Network->Neutron zero-downtime live migration, could dedicate
>> resources to this requirement? It is my direct experience that features
>> that are important to a large organization will require resources
>> from that very organization to be completed.
>
> Indeed, that's partly why I called out Metacloud in the original post,
> as they were brought up as a deployer with this potential need. Please,
> if there are any other shops that:
>
> * Currently deploy nova-network
> * Need to move to Neutron
> * Their tenants cannot tolerate any downtime due to a cold migration
>
> Please do comment on this thread and speak up.

Just to chip in for the dozens of users I have personally spoken to that
do have the requirement for nova-network to neutron migration, and would
be adversely affected if it was not implemented prior to deprecating
nova-network: raising this concept only on a development mailing list is
a bad idea :)

If anyone is serious about not providing a proper migration path for
these users that need it, there is a need to be yelling this for
probably a few of summits in a row and every OpenStack event we have in
between, as well as the full gamut of periodic surveys, blogs, twitters,
weibos, linkedins, facebooks etc,

Regards,

Tom