[openstack-dev] [neutron] make mac address updatable: which plugins?

Charles Carlino chuckjcarlino at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 19:28:35 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I need some help regarding a bug [1] I'm working on.

The bug is basically a request to make the mac address of a port updatable.  The use case is a baremetal (Ironic) node that has a bad NIC which must be replaced, resulting in a new mac address.  The bad NIC has an associated neutron port which of course holds the NIC's IP address.  The reason to make mac_address updatable (as opposed to having the user create a new port and delete the old one) is that during the recovery process the IP address must be retained and assigned to the new NIC/port, which is not guaranteed in the above work-around.

I'm coding the changes to do this in the ml2, openvswitch, and linuxbridge plugins but I'm not sure how to handle the the other plugins since I don't know if the associated backends are prepared to handle such updates.  My first thought is to disallow the update in the other plugins, but I would really appreciate your advice.

Kind regards,
Chuck Carlino

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1341268