[openstack-dev] [git-review] Supporting development in local branches

Ryan Brown rybrown at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 14:49:23 UTC 2014

On 08/05/2014 09:27 AM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:

> Le 05/08/2014 13:06, Ryan Brown a écrit :
> -1 to this as git-review default behaviour. Ideally, branches should be
> identical in between Gerrit and local Git.

Probably not as default behaviour (people who don't want that workflow
would be driven mad!), but I think enough folks would want it that it
should be available as an option.

> I can understand some exceptions where developers want to work on
> intermediate commits and squash them before updating Gerrit, but in that
> case, I can't see why it needs to be kept locally. If a new patchset has
> to be done on patch A, then the local branch can be rebased
> interactively on last master, edit patch A by doing an intermediate
> patch, then squash the change, and pick the later patches (B to E)
>
> That said, I can also understand that developers work their way, and so
> could dislike squashing commits, hence my proposal to have a --no-squash
> option when uploading, but use with caution (for a single branch, how
> many dependencies are outdated in Gerrit because developers work on
> separate branches for each single commit while they could work locally
> on a single branch ? I can't iimagine how often errors could happen if
> we don't force by default to squash commits before sending them to Gerrit)
>
> -Sylvain
>
>> Cheers,

I am well aware this may be straying into feature creep territory, and
it wouldn't be terrible if this weren't implemented.

--
Ryan Brown / Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.