[openstack-dev] [Neutron][QA]Request for input for Juno Design Summit, Atlanta

Miguel Lavalle miguel at mlavalle.com
Mon Apr 28 22:48:23 UTC 2014

Dear fellow Neutron'ers and QA'ers,

During the Atlanta Design Summit we have been assigned 20 minutes (
http://junodesignsummit.sched.org/event/48ccd60090740ae80b4d1811b9a61303#.U12EsqbwBPq)
to agree on the Tempest testing that will be developed for Neutron during
the Juno cycle. In order to make the most out of those 20 minutes, we want
to start the conversation ahead of time, so, to the extent possible, we
concentrate on reaching agreement during the Atlanta session. To get the
conversation rolling, here's an initial list of topics where we, as a
community, need to reach consensus:

   - Scenario testing. While during Icehouse we achieved a good level of
   community engagement and coverage in API testing, scenarios have received
   little attention, even though a few developers made great contributions.
   During Juno, we want to significantly expand this effort, along the
   following lines:
      - We are looking for ideas for new scenarios from anyone and everyone
      (dev, qa, automantion, manual, users, etc). There are no bad
ideas. We need
      ideas, not necessarily fully formed blueprints, though the
latter would be
      even better. Don't let constraints (whitebox, multi-host, etc) to refrain
      you from proposing an idea. We will sort through them later.
Ideas are our
      initial gap right now.
      - Creation of blueprints for the agreed upon scenarios, so potential
      contributors can volunteer to implement them and progress tracking can be
      accomplished.
      - Creation of a "how to" or "primer" wiki page on how to implement
      Neutron scenario tests
      - Documentation of scenario tests. While api tests are to a great
      extent self explanatory, scenarios are more complex and it's not easy for
      people other than the writers of a specific test to understand.
We need to
      improve documentation.
         - One solution might be to assign scenario tests owners to keep
         them up to date and well documented
         - API tests. The challenge in this area seems to be in:
      - Closing the gaps that might haven been left open during Icehouse
      - Adding new tests needed as a consequence of changes and evolution
      of the Neutron API
      - Define an on going process to prevent api tests to become outdated
      or stale
   - Nova Networking - Neutron parity sub-project. Are there any specific
   needs in this sub-project  that can be covered with Tempest based testing?
   - Other Neutron sub-projects. Are there specific needs of other Neutron
   sub-projects that can be covered with Tempest based testing?

This is a list of topics meant to start the conversation on this subject.
Please feel free to chime in, either in the mailing list or at this
etherpad page https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/TempestAndNeutronJuno

Thanks in advance for your input

Miguel Lavalle