[openstack-dev] Heat Windows templates contribution

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Mon Apr 28 21:03:50 UTC 2014

On 28/04/14 23:04, Alessandro Pilotti wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Following up to various conversations during the Icehouse cycle, we'd
> like to contribute the Heat templates work that we did at Cloudbase,
> partly available at:
> https://github.com/cloudbase/windows-heat-templates

It looks like progress is being made on porting these templates to HOT:
https://github.com/cloudbase/windows-heat-templates/blob/master/iis/iis_drupal7_webpi.yaml

To further this process I would suggest the following:
*
https://github.com/cloudbase/windows-heat-templates/blob/master/iis/iis_drupal7_webpi.yaml#L73
This powershell should really be put in a separate file and included
with {get_file: iis_drupal7_webpi.ps1}
*
https://github.com/cloudbase/windows-heat-templates/blob/master/iis/iis_drupal7_webpi.yaml#L69
setting user_data_format: RAW will stop heat from adding unnecessary
files to the multipart-mime
* Consider adopting this pattern for cloudbase-init configuration
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/heat-templates/tree/hot/software-config/example-cloud-init.yaml
  Which is to specify a OS::Heat::SoftwareConfig resource for each
powershell script (also using get_file), then use a
OS::Heat::MultipartMime to combine multiple powershell scripts into a
single configuration packet (I'm assuming cloudbase-init supports
multipart-mime)
> There's also a BP for
> that https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/windows-instances and
> a document discussing the critical Windows integration areas (linked
> in the BP): http://wiki.cloudbase.it/heat-windows
>
> I'm sending this now so that if anybody is interested on the topic we
> can start some discussions before heading to Atlanta's design sessions.
>
> At the current stage we are running templates of any size and type on
> Havana and Icehouse without problems with Cloudbase-Init, so there are
> no particular blocking issues, but it'd be great to have a community
> discussion about what to do with the CFN tools porting on Windows for
> example and how to make the Heat produced Nova userdata metadata less
> Linux dependent.

So I'm all for heat-cfntools being ported to windows, and would happily
review those patches. However a port of os-collect-config,
os-apply-config and os-refresh-config[1] might be the most expedient way
of being able to configure with powershell throughout the lifecycle of a
windows server (not just boot config).

It would be great if it was possible to have the powershell equivalent
of this
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/70297/16/hot/software-config/example-templates/example-script-template.yaml

[1] https://github.com/openstack/os-collect-config
    https://github.com/openstack/os-refresh-config