[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Flavor(?) Framework

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 17:40:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-04-25 at 13:32 -0400, Mohammad Banikazemi wrote:
> As I understand the proposed flavor framework, the intention is to
> provide a mechanism for specifying different "flavors" of a given
> service "type"  as they  are already defined. So using the term "type"
> may be confusing. Here we want to specify possibly different set of
> capabilities within a given defined service type.

Hi Mohammed,

Yes, the trouble in Neutron is the existing service type usage... I
proposed to rename that to service family or service class in a previous
email, and use a type for each service class, so:

load balancer type
firewall type
VPN type

I'd also recommend simplifying the API and CLI by removing the
implementation-focused "provider type" stuff eventually, as well, since
a service type framework would essentially make that no longer needed --
at least on the public API side of things.

Best,
-jay