[openstack-dev] [Heat] looking to add support for server groups to heat...any comments?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri Apr 25 16:23:00 UTC 2014

I'm looking to add support for server groups to heat.  I've got working
code, but I thought I'd post the overall design here in case people had
objections.

Basically, what I propose is to add a "class NovaServerGroup" resource.
  Currently it would only support a "policy" property to store the
scheduler policy for the server group.  The scheduler policy would not
support updating on the fly.

The "LaunchConfiguration" and "Instance" classes would be extended with
an optional "ServerGroup" property.  In the "Instance" class if the
"ServerGroup" property is set then the group name is added to the
scheduler_hints when building the instance.

The "Server" class would be extended with an optional "server_group"
property.  If it is set then the group name is added to the
scheduler_hints when building the server.

All in all, its around a hundred lines of code.

Any comments?

Chris