[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Use Case Question

Carlos Garza carlos.garza at rackspace.com
Fri Apr 25 07:50:16 UTC 2014

    Trevor is referring to our plans on using the SSL session ID of the ClientHello to provide session persistence.
See RFC 5264 section 7.4.1.2 which sends an SSL session ID in the clear (Unencrypted) so that a load balancer with out the decrypting key can use it to make decisions on which
back end node to send the request to.  Users browsers while typically use the same session ID for a while between connections.

Also note this is supported in TLS 1.1 as well in the same section according to RFC 4346. And in TLS 1.0 RFC2246 as well.

    So we have the ability to offer http cookie based persistence as you described only if we have the key but if not we can also offer SSL Session Id based persistence.